Web www.sliverssnippets.blogspot.com
Slivers and Snippets: Dirty Laundry, Part C

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Dirty Laundry, Part C

You know those Before Photos? I feel the need to explain that the blue stuff dripping down the walls isn't just because I am a disgusting slob. That was one of the side effects of Bert throwing the detergent off the shelf. It splashed all over the whole room.
Now, these first two photos are of the laundry room after the first time I scraped the walls, on Tuesday.

This is me painting the trim, last Tuesday night. Gee, doesn't it look like everything is just fine? No idea that the paint will continue to chip, or that my stomach is plotting a violent rebellion.


So, after all the hoopla with my stomach, we finally got started on the laundry room yesterday. I say we because I did manage to convince Mark to help me. Hooray for spouses! We went to Lowe's and spent a small fortune on things like: an electric sander, the cabinet we wanted, new base boards, a new fancy light fixture*, and various accessories needed for the job (sandpaper, masks, primer, tape, etc.).

We spent all day in that darn little room. Scraping, sanding, scraping, sanding... I swear, when this is over, I am not saying either of those words again for at least a month. Maybe a year.

It got to be that everytime we thought we were close to done, we would find more chipping. Finally I did the one thing I should have done in the very beginning. I called our contractor friend for advice.

And you know what he said? He said stop scraping and put the primer on already! Primer will hide chipping and make it restick or some such business. PRIMER WILL HEAL MY WALLS!

Tyrone will be getting a very special case of beer from me.

So we did just that. We primed. And guess what? It worked. The walls are primed and ready to be painted.

Of course, we actually still have a lot of work ahead of us. We went ahead and tried to cut the baseboards, and we messed up only a little bit. We only have to go back to Lowe's (AGAIN) to buy enough baseboard for one wall. The other three turned out fine.

So we still have to:

-Cut the remaining baseboard.

-Nail up the baseboards.

-Paint the walls. (We opted for the easy option of texturing: a sand-like texture that you mix right into your paint. Saves time and money and F--- IT IT'S JUST THE LAUNDRY ROOM.)

-Hang the new light.

-Hang the cabinets. Actually, we need to go to Lowe's (AGAINAGAINWHENWILLITEND) and buy one more cabinet, we want two and they only had one in stock.

-Paint the baseboards.

But all of this will have to wait a few days, because the dirty laundry became overwhelming. I had to give in today and move the washer and dryer back into the room and hook them up. So far I've done 4 loads of laundry, but there are many more to go. However, with my work week beginning tomorrow, and our impending vacation to visit the in-laws starting Saturday and lasting 10 days, and then when we get back I have to go for more testing on my stomach... this laundry room may remain unfinished for three more weeks.

But I will finish it. I refuse to be one of those people with half finished projects all over the house. From now on, I will be known as The Great JayAre, Destroyer And Rebuilder Of All Things Laundry.

*I have previously stated that the light fixture was the one nice item in our laundry room. I stand by that statement. Our light fixture is very pretty and matches all the other light fixtures. However, Mark pointed out that having an exhaust fan in the room might stop paint from peeling in the future. So we had to buy a light fixture that was both fancy and a fan. Which means Mark has to re-wire the room, too. THE LIST KEEPS GROWING.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does it bother anyone else that Rachel Ray talks to us (the TV public) like we are four? I am old enough for proper english, please stop calling sandwiches "sammies" and mashed potatoes "smashed potatoes." Seriously Rachel, I love your food, stop pissing me off.

I know this seems random, but she is on in the background while I type.

2 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes but she gets points for cuteness. None of the iron chefs are exactly hotties.

P.S. - Jayare. Dig the part deux transition to part C, that's my kinda organization system!

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger JR said...

Steve-O - I agree, she is debil-ish, but I really do love her recipes. And we have a long standing joke in my family re: Mark having a crush on her, so we have a bunch of her cookbooks that we have all bought him. And seriously, the other day the woman made french fries out of portabella mushrooms. To me, that makes her a god.

Jack - Cat Cora's pretty cute! Scary, sure, like she'd slice you up and put you in a souffle without a second thought, but still cute in a fiesty sort of way. And thanks for the organizational props! It is similar to my filing method.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home