Web www.sliverssnippets.blogspot.com
Slivers and Snippets: Give Whirled Peas A Chance

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Give Whirled Peas A Chance

Sunday night Mark and I performed our favorite activity.

Oh, you people have such dirty minds. Like I'm gonna blog about that where my parents can read it.

Cooking dinner and then eating it while we watch Iron Chef America.

We LOVE Alton Brown. But then, who doesn't? We, however, love him so much that we invented a drinking game for watching shows with Alton Brown in them. It involves drinking whenever he says things that we recognize as phrases or words he uses frequently. For example, when we watch Good Eats (da da da dada dada dadada), we drink anytime he uses the word "thusly." Try it, I promise, you will drink at least twice in a half hour episode. And when we watch Iron Chef America, we drink anytime he makes a cheesy, bad pun. Like in the lobster competition when he said, "We're at the tail end of the competition..." Also anytime he says, "Kevin." We started that one by drinking whenever he said, "Talk to me, Kevin," but discovered it's more fun to just drink anytime we hear the name Kevin (even sometimes when we're not watching anything with Alton Brown and instead just hanging out with people named Kevin). Those are just a few of the things that we drink on for Alton Brown, come play with us sometime if you want to learn them all.

Anyway, Sunday night we kinda threw together dinner out of a bunch of stuff we found in the fridge. We ended up with diced, sauteed chicken, onions, mushrooms, and spinach sauteed together, and all of it piled into tortillas. Oh, and corn bread. Which doesn't really go together, but hell, I wanted cornbread, so get off my ass.

I kept trying to think of some kind of spread we could put on the tortillas for flavor, and I ended up taking some sour cream and mixing greek seasoning and chili powder in it. I call it "Sour Cream Dip with Greek Seasoning and Chili Powder." Now, I know what you're thinking. "She's a freaking genius! Nobody's ever done that before! Forget Alton, this girl needs a food show!" I know, I know. Remain calm, we can have worship services at the altar of JR on Friday night. At the bar. You can buy me a shot. Because truly, I may have changed your life forever with the Awesomeness of the Dip.

Anyway, enough about my dip.

So, the Iron Chef episode on Sunday was great. The secret ingredient was FROZEEEN PEASSS (that's how the chairman says it, only he makes a funny face, too). I think that is a cool ingredient. They did some really interesting stuff with it.

At one point, early on, Mark and I were (I thought) trying to guess what they would make with the FROZEEEN PEASSS.

Mark suggested, "Pea soup!"

"Pea pie!"

"Peas in porridge!

"Pea sorbet!"

"Peas in porridge served cold!"

"Pea sorbet with frozen pea garnish!"

"PEAS IN PORRIDGE NINE DAYS OLD!"

I was cracking up; I hadn't realized where he was going with that, and when he yelled it, deadpan, I almost spit my beverage out.

That man is always trying to make me spit out beer.

---------------------------------------------------

Later that night, as I stuck my finger in the dip to eat some...

"You know, I'm thinking about dipping potato chips in this tomorrow."

"I know you are."

Maybe you had to be there to hear the dejected tone in his voice. But I think sometimes he knows me too well.

6 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Alton, and that is an awesome drinking game.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger hamster_grrl said...

I, too, love AB. I am sad I missed that episode. My friends told me about how they kept talking about the "pea-ness" of the dishes and AB would giggle.

I giggled when they told me about it.

"pea-ness"

Anyways. I have to go to the grocery store. Thank goodness I read your post. Now I know to get sour cream, greek seasoning, and chili powder.

I miss you!

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a feeling that if I ever get around to getting cable or dish or any type of watchable TV again, I'd probably enjoy ICA. But as it is I just have fond memories of the original er...dubbed version.
Everytime I pick up a bell pepper, I want to bite into it and look at people like chairman Kaga!

Fukui-san!

Go!

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger JR said...

Whinger - Thanks. We're very creative with our drinking, int hat we will find ny excuse to do it.

Laura - I'm thinking about PEAing! Ha! I crack me up.

Jack and Steve - It's nice that you have each other.

 
At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I set them up and he knocks them out of the park.

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man you had to do this to me... I have sour cream and chips in.... I hate you for this...LOL Now I am going to be thinking about that all day...... Thanks.... Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home