Web www.sliverssnippets.blogspot.com
Slivers and Snippets: The Post Wherein I Publicly Announce My Cluelessness. And My Love For Owen.

Monday, July 17, 2006

The Post Wherein I Publicly Announce My Cluelessness. And My Love For Owen.

I have very little awareness of what goes on in the world around me. I know that this makes me a bad American. But I HATE watching the news. It's so upsetting. Can't everyone just chill out?

So, I live happily in my little ignorant cave, completely unaware of anything outside of my circle of friends.

But sometimes, somebody will bring something up to me and I am shocked at my own stupidity. "Hey, did you hear about the meteor that hit in your own backyard*??!?!?" "Was it in US Weekly? No? Then no."

All this month the manager of the restaurant I work in has been vacationing in his home country of Cyprus. Which sucks because it means I have to work more, but is awesome because hey, the boss is gone! Although I will admit that, surprising even to me, I have missed him. But if any of you repeat that to him I will hunt you down and tell you fascinating fish tank stories for three hours.** That will be your punishment for ruining my front of hating everyone.

So anyway, the boss is in Cyprus. And today my friend Fletcher called me, all worked up.

F: "You know that war that's going on?"

JR: "Sure." (Thinking she means the war in Iraq, of which I am aware, my cave isn't that isolated.)

F: "Well, I just heard on the news that they're evacuating Americans to Cyprus! So I looked at a map and it's RIGHT next to Lebanon!"

JR: {beginning to realize that I have missed something...} "Evacuating to Cyprus? What? Wait, what war are you talking about?"

F: "Lebanon and Israel. The bombing."

JR: "Um.... I don't watch the news..."

F: "Oh my god, you just said you're online right now, stop by cnn.com every now and then! Lebanon and Israel are bombing the shit out of each other, and it's right by Cyprus and that's where Boss is!"

JR: "Dude, that's crazy! I was just kidding when I said I hoped he would get stuck there..."

F: "You gotta get a map and look at how close it is."

JR: "Well, I just went to cnn.com cause you told me to, but the first thing I saw was a place to click for an article about Owen Wilson, so I'm reading that now. I'll read about the fighting after that."

F: {Laughing}


*Dude, there was no meteor. I would notice that, at least. But it is true that I have an addiction to US Weekly.

**That would be one hour for every tank that I have in my house, for now... Yesterday Mark says, "Are you planning on getting more fishtanks?" I said, "Are you gonna let me get more dogs and cats? No? Then yes, I will be getting more fishtanks."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to note that I not only did read about the bombing online, I also turned the tv on to CNN for my background noise today. I miss my usual Jack FM, but maybe I should know something about something every now and then.

But also, I am already depressed. Stupid people killing other people.

9 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just for clarification I have nothing to do with the aforementioned radio station "Jack FM" although I have been known to listen to it from time to time.

J.R. I know it's really tough for you, but you could listen to NPR for just 5 freaking minutes at the top of the hour... any hour...day or night. Just get a little news, huh? No "Dead Kittens!!! Story at 10!!!, just a general 'our world is going to hell' update.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger JR said...

Hey! I did the story onlone about the two-faced kitten! But only cause somebody sent me a link.

Dude, I don't even know what station NPR is. Help a sister out, here.

We got your thank you note for the thank you note! I wil be sending my thank you note for the thank you note for the thank you note soon. ;-) Glad Amy got luggage she likes!

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NPR is KERA 90.1 there in the DFW area. As you drive up I35 you can get NPR almost the whole way. There's some fuzzy space around the border and around Purcell. But start with 90.1 and as you go into Oklahoma, you'll need to tune to 90.3 and then when that goes out, try 106.3 or 105.7. You can be NPR-licious all the way up! All the news you need.

As soon as I get that thank you note for the thank you note for the thank you note, I'll send off a thank you note for the thankyou note for the thankyounoteforthethankyounoteforthe tee hee :)

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cnn as background noise is at least a start. i'm proud and a little face down.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Jerry said...

Amy, that was a very good explanation on how to stay tuned to NPR but...

why would anyone want to go into Okalhoma?

;;
J

 
At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you JayAre!!! Put it in "Cosmo" and then I'll pay attention. Actually, I didn't even know there was a war going on in Lebanon until I read it on here so thanks for the heads up!

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger JR said...

Oh! I'm like a public service announcement!

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh lord. Forget CNN, we have Sliverssnippets to deliever the world thier news. Well at least it's getting out somehow.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger JR said...

Hey! My blog is not why the world is going to hell! I'm quite certain I haven't started any wars.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home