Web www.sliverssnippets.blogspot.com
Slivers and Snippets: Battle of the Sexes

Monday, May 15, 2006

Battle of the Sexes

Have any of you ever played the board game Battle of the Sexes? It's really fun. Mark and I like to bust it out when we are hanging out with either of our families. There's very little in it that isn't family appropriate (although with mine, it's not so much a concern) and it manages to make everyone look alternatingly brilliant and idiotic. Which is always important when dealing with family.

Anyway, we were playing (and drinking - did I mention MY BROTHER* did a tequila shot?) on Saturday night. Me and mom had to ask the boys, "What was Princess Diana's maiden name?"

First we were met with silence for some time. Then:

Brother: "Farga."

Everybody: "What?"

Brother: "What do you got that's better?"

Dad: "Ok."

Mark: "Of Wales."

Dad: "Ok."

Brother: "Mark my words, it's Farga."
--------------------------------------
Later in the game, mom and I had to ask them to please tell us what a chanterelle is.

Brother: "Wine... Makeup..."

Dad: "A TV show from the 60's."

Brother: "Princess Di's maiden name."

Mark: "Of Wales."
-------------------------------------

Earlier funnies (to me, at least) included:

-My father guessing at Madonna's first hit - "Daddy Don't Tell." (Before Jack** comments to tell us all what it was, I will add that it was not "Papa Don't Preach," which is what my dad was going for there. It was actually "Lucky Star.")

-We asked them what the name of the condition is that gives women hot flashes. Mark responded with, "Hold on, men... pause..."

-I had to ask them what the five mother sauces are - Mark loves cooking, but was drunk, so I said, "It's so sad that you don't know this." And my dad said, "G-spot?" (You can see that we are a very proper family.) (Also, Mark did actually come up with all five, even in his inebriated condition.) (Go ahead Jack, I left that one for you.)

-We asked the boys to name Fergie's two children. They, of course, could not (neither could the girls, for that matter). When I read the answer, "Beatrice and Eugenie," Dad replied with, "Jesus, those poor guys."

-Mom and I had to figure out what BMW stands for - neither of us being into cars in the slightest, we had no idea. After batting around several options, like "Best woMan Whatever," I came up with "Bavarian Motor Vehicles." Mark quickly amended that to be, "Weeeeeeeeehicles."

*For those of you that don't know, my brother doesn't drink. Ever. Despite much pressure from his family to do so, because, let's face it, alcohol makes you cool.

**Love you,man!




4 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Basic white sauce
2. White Stock sauce
3. Brown sauce
4. Tomato sauce
5. Butter sauce

There are French words for some of them but my French sucks so I won't butcher them.

Oh...and Diana's maiden name was Spencer and a chantarelle is a mushroom. (Although my alternative answer would be a Mo-town girl group)

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger JR said...

Actually, the game wanted the french words:

Béchamel
Espagnole
Hollandaise
Mayonnaise
Tomato sauce

 
At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does tomato sauce feel left out because it doesn't have a French word?

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear my husband is straight, even if he does know all those sauces, Diana's maiden name, the mushroom AND the 60s girl group! He didn't notice that I had a haircut today, so that proves it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home